In the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 match between Pakistan and Afghanistan ( Pak Vs Afg ) at M.A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai, Pakistan won the toss and decided to bat first. Pakistan has made a change to their team. Mohammad Nawaz is out with a fever, and Shadab Khan has been called up.
The Afghan captain, Hashmatullah Shahidi, said that the team would like to bat first, but they knew they couldn’t choose who would play first.
Babar Azam, Pakistan’s captain, said that they chose to bat first because the pitch was dry and could offer spin later. Babar Azam also said that the pitch might be good for pacers when the lights are on.
Pakistan Playing XI
- Openers: Imam-ul-Haq and Abdullah Shafique
- Middle order: Babar Azam (captain), Mohammad Rizwan (wicketkeeper), Saud Shakeel, and Iftikhar Ahmed
- All-rounders: Shadab Khan and Hasan Ali
- Fast bowlers: Shaheen Shah Afridi and Haris Rauf
Afghanistan Playing XI
- Openers: Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran
- Middle order: Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi (captain), Akram Ali Khil (wicketkeeper), and Najibullah Zadran
- Spin bowlers: Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, and Noor Ahmad
- Mohammad Nawaz was originally in the Pakistan playing eleven, but he was ruled out due to illness. Shadab Khan replaced him.
- Azmatullah Omarzai was originally in the Afghanistan playing eleven, but he was dropped. Noor Ahmad replaced him.
After facing consecutive defeats against India and Australia, the Green Team finds itself in the fifth spot on the points table. The 1992 World Cup champions are determined to bounce back and regain their winning momentum. However, Afghanistan’s team, coming off a significant 149-run loss to New Zealand, poses a formidable challenge.
Afghanistan’s Recent Performance
Despite breaking a 14-match losing streak with a remarkable victory against England, Afghanistan’s recent defeat to New Zealand dropped them to the tenth position in the overall points table.
Pakistan’s Rollercoaster Ride
Pakistan secured two convincing victories, but losses to India and Australia by narrow margins have left them with little room for error. Despite the setback against Australia, positive signs emerged for Babar Azam’s team, especially with Usama Mir making a strong case to start over Shadab Khan.
The Crucial Pitch
The clash between these two Asian powerhouses will unfold on the same pitch used for the India vs Australia game on October 8. With both teams boasting considerable firepower, fans can anticipate an exciting contest.
In their sole ICC ODI World Cup encounter on June 29, 2019, Pakistan emerged victorious against Afghanistan at Headingley, winning by three wickets. Pakistan has won all seven head-to-head matches against their neighbors.
In this crucial match, Pakistan seeks to maintain its spotless record against Afghanistan.
Point Table of ICC WORLD CUP 2023